Mold is abundant in nature, especially in a humid environment like South Florida. It would be extremely difficult to find a residential or commercial property that DID NOT have any mold whatsoever present. Mold spores are everywhere and are a large component of common dust.
However, when mold spores are present in large quantities, they are a health hazard to humans. They can be the cause of allergic reactions and respiratory problems. This can be especially dangerous to the young, the elderly and those with pre-existing respiratory problems.
“Everyone at Insurance Damage repair was terrific! Very professional, neat and clean. Courteous and a pleasure to work with.
Mold isn’t pleasant, but dealing with Insurance Damage Repair was very pleasant…”
Toxic Mold & Mycotoxins
Some molds also produce mycotoxins that can pose serious health risks to humans and animals. The term “toxic mold” refers to molds that produce mycotoxins, such as Stachybotrys chartarum, not to all molds.
- Exposure to high levels of mycotoxins can lead to neurological problems and in some cases death.
- Prolonged exposure, like daily workplace exposure, can be particularly harmful.
Symptoms of Toxic Mold Exposure
- Nasal and Sinus Congestion
- Runny Nose
- Eye Irritation
- Respiratory Problems
- Persistent Cough
- Throat Irritation
- Skin irritation
- Sneezing / Sneezing Fits
For more information on toxic molds and there health risk, please visit the Center for Disease Control website here:http://www.cdc.gov/mold/cleanup.htm
Mold thrives in moisture rich environments and humid places like South Florida. This can make it especially difficult to stop its spread, but the first step in solving any mold problem is stopping the source of moisture. After you have removed the source, it’s time to remove any of the current mold growth. This can be quite a challenge when the mold is growing behind existing walls and lurking in air conditioning duct work.
Common remedies for small occurrences of mold include:
- Exposure to Sunlight
- Creating a Good Source of Ventilation in the Effected Area
- Household Cleansers Including Bleach
- Dehumidifiers in Places That Do Not Get any Ventilation
Significant mold growth may require professional mold remediation to remove the affected building materials and eradicate the source of excess moisture.