Every year in South Florida, homes and commercial property are damaged by severe storms. Property owners need to be vigilant or they may fall prey to the many unlicensed, uninsured and unscrupulous contractors. After a hurricane, every Tom, Dick and Harry is suddenly a roofing expert and headed to South Florida to make a quick buck.
Inferior contractors and con artists can and do cause permanent damage, devalue property, steal money and put you at personal, legal and financial risk. At Insurance Damage Repair, we are constantly surprised how few customers and clients request proof of insurance and license. Our policy is to provide this documentation along with each proposal we submit.
Here are a few tip from us:
- Anyone arriving at your door unsolicited offering to do contracting work should be treated with suspicion.
- Protect yourself by checking your contractor out with the Better Business Bureau and Department of Consumer Affairs.
- Make sure any contractor is properly licensed and insured. If they are, that information is readily available, so any excuse should raise a red flag.
- Beware of anyone that does not have a local address.
- Beware of anyone that demands cash or deposit up-front